Thursday, March 27, 2014

THAT mom...who got her baby's ears pierced.

Yes, I am officially THAT mom that got my child's ears pierced.
 
I know everyone has opinions about it, even my best friend disagrees with it, but I'm ok with that.
 
I always knew if I had a little girl that I would pierce her ears almost immediately. I got mine pierced when I was just 6 weeks old and never have had any problems with them when I was little or now. I still have the same piercings that were done then and I still wear earrings almost daily. I am hoping for the same outcome with Milania.
 
So Ryan and I have been discussing "when" exactly to get them done for the last few months. At first I always thought when she was a newborn, then I thought when she was a few weeks, then at a few weeks I would look at her and think "no, she's way too young." Then when she got a little older I decided when she could hold her head up, well...that came and I still didn't ever get it done. Finally Ryan text me one day at work and said "let's get her ears pierced tonight, I'll be off early." and that was it.
 
We took her to the mall last Tuesday and I told Ryan before we even walked in...
 
"If the girl working is 16 or looks incompetent for any reason we are leaving!"
 
Well, we showed up and she was easily in her 30's and looked competent so we decided to go through with it.
 
Ryan offered to hold her and I planned to take pictures, but when it came down to it, I got too nervous and was in mommy mode, not photographer mode.
 
The lady cleaned Milania's ears and then drew the dots. I had her readjust them 7478585 times and it took every bone in my body not to just say "give me the pen, I'll draw them!" but I kept the control freak in me under control and she finally got them right where I wanted them. :)
 
During the whole dot drawing though, Milania was being feisty. She was crying..lord only knows why. The dots don't hurt, neither does the cleaning solution.
 
Finally the lady lined up the gun and pierced the first ear, then the second.
 
Honest to God, she cried less than minute after both piercings were done. She cried A LOT longer during the dot drawing and cleaning. I almost thought it was too good to be true (I'm sure it did hurt!) so I walked around with her for a minute but sure enough, she was fine! We decided just to head home and we were in the car about 5 minutes and she was asleep!
 
It went waaaay better than expected and so far so good! I have to clean them 3-4 times a day and twist them around and push them in and out a bit but she doesn't seem to mind. She lets me do it each time I change her diaper and so far, no problems! They aren't red at all or anything and she has yet to notice they are there...I think that comes with older age? So I'm happy!
 
I think they're just cute as a button on her and I don't regret it one bit!

The night we got them done

Still cute even when she's mean muggin' me :)