Friday, February 14, 2014

learning to trust my mommy instincts.

If you read my blog when Miss Milania was first born, you probably remember our struggles with breastfeeding. I literally could not get her to latch on to save her life...

Two different people suggested that I looked for a tongue tie and/or lip tie. I only knew about a classic lip tie where the tip is tied down and realized she didn't have that, but after further inspection I became SURE she had a lip tie. I researched it and thought "yep, this is our problem." Well, I asked our home visit nurse to check for me and she said she wasn't sure, but the Dr. would know more at her appointment. I then asked the lactation consultant and also the Dr. shortly after who both said she had "something" there but that it wasn't an issue.
 
 

I eventually got her to latch on using a shield and she preferred this over bottles anyway so I just pushed the idea out of my head.

Fast forward a month...

I ask her pediatrician at her one month check up if she thinks her lip tie is a cause for concern. She basically said no and acted like it was nothing. I voiced my concerns about the future and problems associated with it but it seemed like nothing to her so once again I didn't think much else about it.

Then our thrush hit. She has been battling thrush (oral) for over a month now and I knew something had to be going on. We literally have done everything to get rid of it. I sanitize EVERYTHING after she uses it, do her medicine exactly like prescribed, etc. I was randomly Googling it one night to see what exactly causes it and if there was anything else I could do to get rid of it and wouldn't you know, this lip tie thing pops up again.

Apparently thrush is one of the symptoms of it, particularly thrush that won't go away. The other symptoms? All things she/I have! Reflux (she's on Prevacid), inability to take a pacifier, loss of milk while eating, clogged ducts/mastitis..the list goes on and on. Needless to say, I once again started researching it and by 8am the next morning I had made an appointment to get her checked out by an ENT and get this thing taken care of once and for all.
 
Long story short, we ended up at a dentist office who specializes in recognizing and revising both lip and tongue ties. Our Dr. confirmed that she indeed had not only the upper lip tie, but also a posterior tongue tie which is a little bit different than the traditional tongue tie most people are probably familiar with. Basically, when in the womb, everyone's tongue and lips are tied down but they eventually separate. Well, some people's don't and they remained tied..this was her. So her top lip didn't have the ability to flange out like it should (perhaps even do the "kissy face") and her tongue didn't have the mobility to sweep the top of the mouth like it should.
 
With that, we decided to have it revised.
 
Just for the record. If this was ONLY a breastfeeding issue, I would have not worried about it at all. Yes, we have struggled in this area but we have it figured out now to the point where it's at least working for us, even if we do have our bumps in the road. The problem, though, is that it is not just a temporary breastfeeding issue. A lip and tongue tie can cause several problems down the road including speech problems, reflux issues, gaps in teeth, tooth decay/cavities, loss of enamel, and digestion problems, which is why the decision was made to have it revised.
 
And now, Miss Milania is lip and tongue tie free!
 
The procedure only took about 2-3 minutes total (I didn't stay in the room with her). They used a laser and didn't sedate or even numb her, so of course that absolutely hurts me to even think about, but the long term affects of having these are far much worse. When I went back to get her she was obviously crying and very upset but I nursed her and within about 10 minutes she had fallen asleep. She was then woken up again by the Dr. who showed me how to do these stretches on the sites to ensure they don't reattach but after crying a bit more, she relaxed in the car and was actually calm, cool, and collected, for most of the car ride home.
 
I could tell she was in pain that night and the next night, but I'm happy to report she is doing fine now. And the best part? She can actually flange out her top lip like she is supposed to!
 
I'm glad we went through with it.
 
Brittney and Ryan sent these to Miss Milania. So thoughtful!
 
Lesson? Trust my mommy instincts. I KNEW she had this from the time she was a couple days old and no one seemed concerned. I knew there was a reason she wasn't latching on and was "a lazy eater" and that her lip looked different than it should. Looking back, I should have pushed a little harder and gotten this taken care of right away and not let them brush it off. Lesson learned.


3 comments:

Jamie said...

We did the lip tie revision for my son too. Glad you got it taken care of.

Anonymous said...

Good JOB!!!!! Never be afraid to push for things when it comes with your families health......Sometimes a little assertiveness and persistence pays off.......

Audrie Is... said...

Hi Jamie!! I'm SO far behind, I can never get caught up on everyone's blogs lately...this little miss is time consuming :) Did you feel like it made a difference?? What made you realize he had one?