Wednesday, October 9, 2013

giving my LAST pregancy update! Eeeek!

Though I haven't been consistent in posting each week during my pregnancy, I have tried to keep this updated periodically with what's been going on. And let's face it, the weekly postings are a little much anyway considering not much changes in just a week. With that being said, this is officially my LAST posting! My next post will hopefully be Miss Milania's birth story!

I'm going to backtrack a little bit and get you all caught up on what's been going on...



Just 2 weeks ago, Ryan and I spent our entire Saturday (9-4) at our prenatal/birthing/newborn class. There were a few other options of when to take this course (obviously it's optional altogether) but we both agreed one whole Saturday worked best for our schedules.

Going into it I was excited to learn some new things but dreading getting up early for it and wondering how on earth I could sit through 7 hours of straight information! Well, as it turns out, it really wasn't as bad as I thought and went by rather quickly.

Our class was taught by an actual OB nurse at Pella so all of the information was very relevant to Pella deliveries versus "in general" terms. We did everything from practicing massages, to breathing techniques, to swaddling a baby--we basically covered it all! On the drive home we both were talking and both agreed that it was definitely worth the $ and time spent; we both gained information we had no idea about prior to the class and felt more comfortable going into this whole delivery process and now have an idea of what to expect should A, B, or C happen. If anyone was ever wondering if they should attend one, my answer is definitely yes. I can't speak for actual Lamaze classes because they may be different but ours hosted by our hospital was very beneficial.

Don't mind the craziness of this picture--I snapped it really quickly to send to my cousins but then was in shock later when I looked at just how huge I look! Whoa baby! 37 weeks, 6 days.

That same weekend, I also went off my shots to prepare for delivery. I know I've talked a little bit about it already but basically my Dr's are just trying to straddle a fine line between keeping me and baby safe. Off the medicine, I am safer should I go into labor. On the medicine, baby is safer. So, my Dr's decided at 37 weeks I should quit taking them since I'm nearing the end of the pregnancy. That gives my blood time to get back to normal should I go into labor, and only leaves a small window of time for something to go wrong otherwise. Also, to close the gap even more, he suggested induction at 39 weeks. So, if you're doing the math, I would only be off my medicine 2 weeks max.

My focus is on her, Ryan's focus is on me, and my Dr's focus is on both of us as we all discovered as I sat crying in my Dr's office telling him how scared I was when he gave me all this news. To say lots of prayers have been said and lots of tears shed is an understatement.

So, with the decision to take me off my medicine also came extra monitoring. Our appointments lately have been long but have reassured me everything is going as planned and that both baby and I are doing ok. I have been doing weekly non stress tests and an ultrasound along with my weekly appointment...



38 weeks
37 weeks

That takes us to today...

I had my final appointment today (Wednesday) and everything looked great. She passed both her NST and ultrasound and the Dr. seemed to be ok with it. In hopes that she will make her way into this world naturally, he also stripped my membranes during my appointment. Supposedly, if it's going to work, it should work within the first 24-48 hours and ONLY if she's ready, so my fingers are definitely crossed but I'm not holding my breath. She seems snug as a bug in there :)

Should she stay put, we go in MONDAY at 6:30 am to be induced! Ay ay ay. This is crazy to me! To think that I will have a child in my arms in just 5 days is nuts and so overwhelming. I am beyond excited for her arrival but I am also nervous and "wow'ed" at the thought of my child entering this world so soon! What a crazy feeling.


A picture from this past Saturday, which we thought could be our last chance at date night. 37 weeks, 6 days.

So that is where we stand today. And as long as she doesn't come tonight or tomorrow morning, Ryan and I will spend the next few days and weekend just being "us"...a family of two. I'll probably take a nap or two, cuddle Dezi and Bella entirely too much, sleep in every day, and eat pumpkin pie that I know I shouldn't have because when else will it be acceptable to eat a piece of pumpkin pie at 2:00am and not feel guilty?


 I hope you all have a great rest of the week and weekend!! If you think of it, please keep us all in your prayers for a safe and healthy baby and delivery!



**ps-I also am that crazy mom that got a pedicure last weekend in baby pink color, with a baby foot drawing on one toe, and an "M" for Milania on the other...yes, I've lost my mind. I'll try to remember to post a picture tomorrow!

 **For those of you not familiar with a non stress test (NST) it is basically just being hooked up to monitors that check on baby. One measures my contractions, one keeps track of my blood pressure, one keeps track of baby's heart rate, and one keeps track of baby's movements. Her heart rate has to fluctuate with her movements so many times with in the time allotted...usually 30 minutes. If her heart rate doesn't get higher with movements then that signals something being wrong. Luckily, she has done great during them. They have me lie down and also drink pop on ice (brrr!) and try to get her going and she has responded well!



1 comment:

Kelsey Homolka said...

Yay oh yay! I'm beyond the moon excited to see IG pictures of little miss soon! I'm thinking of you guys and prayers of a great delivery are being said daily from here until Monday for you guys! Don't worry about parenthood, you'll be a great mommy and be "that mom" who always over posts pictures, I've gotta see this little one!!