Sunday, January 20, 2013

stirring and baking! {caramel chex mix style}

I got this wonderful recipe from one of my former students who always brought it to "food day" and I just had to share with all of you!

Caramel Chex Mix
 

Ingredients:
4 sticks of butter (I never said it was healthy!)
1 bag of brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 box corn chex
1 box rice chex
1 bag of pretzels (I prefer the not salted ones but to each their own)

Instructions:
1. In a medium sized pan, combine the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup.
2. Wait for the mixture to come to a complete rolling (more bubbly) boil and then turn the heat off.
3. While that is sitting, combine the cereals and pretzels in a large mixing bowl.
4. Pour the caramel mixture over the cereal/pretzels and stir until all the pieces are coated.
5. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
6. Spread the mixture out onto baking sheets (it takes me about 2.5 or three full baking sheets to fit it all) and bake for 10-12 minutes.
**the longer you leave it in, the more crunchy it gets. Anything less than 10 minutes usually leaves it a little bit sticky and goopy
7. Remove from oven and let cool.
8. Break up all the pieces and enjoy!

This recipe makes a TON. It seems like I always say that, but it really does! Just imagine what 2 boxes of cereal and a bag of pretzels looks like--you better plan to share!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds really bad for you yet so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ingredients list a box of chex mix. Is that correct, or is it suppose to be a box of corn chex?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from each and every one of you!! I started this blog as a way to document everything going on in our lives and I love sharing it with all of you along the way!