Thursday, November 8, 2012

tackling Pinterest, one bottle of wine at a time.

Last night, a friend and I had our first ever "White Girl Wednesday" and decided to tackle some Pinterest projects and a few bottles of wine.

We exchanged messages all week trying to decide what pins we actually wanted to make (besides washboard abs) and came up with a few things. We hit the craft store on Tuesday and by Wednesday we were prepared.

So what did I make?

Well, we made these wine bottles empty...


But in the midst of the giggles, wine drinking, and chatting (and being in complete wedding mode; come on, its only SEVEN weeks away!) I actually did make something. I saw this on Pinterest one day and immediately knew I wanted to make it and would totally use it. So, I made myself a cupcake stand.






Materials:
4 mirrors which I bought at Hobby Lobby
E6000 glue
paint brush
candle stick holders from Dollar Tree.

Directions:
1. I flipped the mirrors over and measured each, marking it with a pencil exactly in the center.
2. I then put E6000 glue (this is where I used the small paint brush) on the top of the candlestick and glued it to the marking on the bottom of the mirror.

3. Once glued down, I used my paint brush and went around the edges, really sealing the candlestick in place
4. I did this to all four mirrors and had to wait for them to dry.

5. Once dry, I combined two at a time, doing the same thing as above, only I didn't use the extra glue around the edges.
ps-to mark the top of the mirrors I used lipliner


6. Once those were dry, I combined the two pieces and voila!

I am even more in love with this stand than I thought I would be. I was even thinking that just one smaller unit (the smallest mirror and stand) would be a cute bedroom or bathroom decoration to hold something?! Any thoughts?

I will TRY to get my friend to write a guest blog post for me on her project, but in case she doesn't...here is what she made. They are these cute little rocks with pictures, letters, etc. that she put behind them and then turned them into magnets. This is the one she made for me! Isn't it cute?!



So what do you guys think?? Do you think it turned out ok? Better yet, is it wedding approved?!

If you want to check out some other bloggers' projects, click the link below and snoop around!

29 comments:

Rachel @ front row seat said...

hmmmm...I may have to try this! How easy and pretty they are!

Audrie Is... said...

Yes! You def should! Easy, pretty, AND cheap! :)

Linny said...

What a cute idea! Looks like a fun night, crafting and wine! Hope you have a great day!

Audrie Is... said...

Thanks Linny!! We did have fun!! Hope you have a great day and weekend as well!! Send us some sun! :)

Miranda said...

love love love the cupcake stand!!

Andiepants said...

ooooh hooray for wine drinking party with the girls! I miss those days! Hope I have those soon too!

So those cupcake stands...they look professional Audrie!!! They look amazeballz!

And the magnets with the clear stones...soooo cool!
I had a friend use small stones, put a picture on the back, and glued thumb tacks to the back to be used on bulletin board...it was a def cute idea too!!

xoxo
Andie's Traveling Pants
PS---7 weeks??? oh my! Time flies!!!

Stephanie said...

Shut the front door!! That cupcake stand is to. die. for!!! You did GREAT!!!

PS-so sorry I'm just now commenting! Life has been CRAY these past few days. Thank you for linking up with Katie & I!

Audrie Is... said...

Thank you!!! :)

Audrie Is... said...

Hi Andie!! Your sweet comments always put a smile on my face!

We never talked about using pictures behind the stones--ill have to tell her that!

And yes, time is flying up on us!! Eeek im so excited!


Audrie Is... said...

Aw thanks missy!! You could totally make one easy peasy! Or make a single tier one for your new home to decorate!

Sarah said...

White girl Wednesday ahhahaha I really love that.

Audrie Is... said...

Lol im sure its not socially correct but whatever :)

Suzi @ chores and chandeliers said...

Cute!!!! I love the cake stand!!!!! I love the idea of making it smaller for a dresser or bathroom to put jewelry, soaps, nail posh, etc on!!!!

Emily M said...

This looks like a great idea, do you by any chance have a picture with the cupcakes on it?

Thanks

Audrie Is... said...

Hi Emily! I actually do and I never thought to add them! Great idea. I will get some added as soon as I can. It worked very well!

lynda campbell said...

The cake stand is genius. Absolutely love this, I entertain a great deal and this not only has height it has sparkle and on a budget. Very creative. Think how pretty fruit would look on it.

Andrea K said...

Great idea, thanks for sharing!

I also see an array of single-bud vases at Dollar stores on the cheap-- wondering if that could work in place of the candlesticks as long as they're heavy enough to support the mirrors?

Kristi said...

Your cupcake stand is adorable!! I'm in the middle if planning my wedding (Oct.24th) and would love to use this idea! How well did it work? Any issues with bring unsteady?

Audrie Is... said...

Hi Kristi!! It worked really well. It didn't tip over mid reception or anything like that haha. If you want to leave your email I can send you some pictures of it being used--I can't post them in comments unfortunately

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how many cupcakes you were able to put on it. Email hikiidmoms1@aol.com you did a really nice job and it looks great

The Best said...

You have saved my life!! I was just about to order one of these from amazon for $30.00, and there was no way it would be here in time without paying $25.00 s/h. Thanks to you my event will be a bang with this cupcake stand! Kudos to you!!

Anonymous said...

I love this! Can you share what size mirror you used? And send some pictures from when you used it?! Ray.a.kristen@gmail.com

Thanks!

Danielle Thomas said...

Hi,

My mom and I are going to try this over the weekend to be used for my bridal shower ....I'd like to see pictures of the stand in use if possible. Also do you have the sizes of the mirrors you used?

La-Kisha Nance said...

I would like to see pictures of it with a cake on it for an event

joanna jester said...

Could you please email me the size mirrors you used and how many cupcakes it held?
joannnajay@gmail.com

Gwen Hicks said...

Could you please email me the size mirrors you used and how many cupcakes it holds? My email address is gwendh00@yahoo.com
Thanks

Gwen Hicks said...

Could you please email me the size mirrors you used and how many cupcakes it holds? My email address is gwendh00@yahoo.com
Thanks

Antoinette Setorie said...


That cupcake stand is amazing. Definitely trying this over the next break. I always need a cupcake stand and often find myself purchasing one right before an event. This is one I will not leave anywhere. Thank you for the idea.

Leah Allen said...

What sizes were the mirrors you used? How many cupcakes did this end up holding?
This is absolutely adorable, and am now thinking about making some for our Vow Renewal.