Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A soon-to-be bride! {bridal shower edition}



This past Sunday I got to experience one of the many perks that comes along with planning a wedding...my bridal shower!! Honestly, it was the BEST day I had had in a long time. We have had a crazy/stressful month due to several factors and it literally all melted away Sunday at my shower. It was absolutely perfect and just what I needed.

Here's a quick recap of how it all went, along with a few pictures. I will try to post more pics on here as I gather some up..I only had a couple on my phone unfortunately and they're mediocre at best.



The deets...
-My sister Abigal (maid of honor) was the one who put it on with the help of my other bridesmaids.
-It was at the Country Club here in town at 2:00pm on Sunday.
-It was a "pink" theme

The treats...
cupcakes
fruit
bottled water
punch
mimosas (yummy!)

The games...
1. How Well do you Know the Bride & Groom? was a game where Abigal asked Ryan and I several random questions prior to the shower (e.g. What is your favorite restaurant? What do you do to celebrate your anniversary every year? etc.) and then asked the guests these questions to test their "knowledge" of us. I was VERY surprised at how well some people did and it was fun to see what everyone came up with on some questions. Even my friend from high school's little girl was answering questions about our dogs...so cute!:)

2. Bridal Bingo was where the guests were given a traditional blank bingo sheet with their "free" spot in the middle being the gift they gave us. They then filled in the blanks with all the gifts they thought we would receive such as towels, a blender, Keurig, etc. As I opened gifts, they crossed of their squares and and tried to get a bingo!

3. Newlyweds was a game that was only played by me. Basically, Abigal had asked Ryan several questions about himself/us prior to the shower and written all his answers down on poster boards. She then stood behind me, holding up the poster board containing his answers, while she asked me the questions and I had to attempt to guess what he would say. I hate to brag, but I did pretty darn good! I only missed a couple and one of them I'm still arguing with him over..he claims he wanted to be a lawyer when he was little...please. I've never heard him say that ONCE. And between you and I, I'm pretty sure he said it just to look good ;)  Anyway, here's a couple of his questions and answers that stuck out to me...

What would the groom say is the bride’s best feature? 
--I was asked this question at our marriage retreat at the church and my answer made Aud’s face turn beat red.  So this time I will go with what she is probably doing now. Her smile.

What was the groom’s favorite date? 
-Our 6 year anniversary we went to Iowa City to eat at our favorite restaurant and drive around all of our old stomping grounds.  We drove home in 3 tornadoes and Aud’s hands were sweating from the weather and mine were sweating from what I was about to do.  I unlocked the door and let her go in first and I will never forget the look on her face.

Who is smarter?
-I’m not going to answer this.  Let’s ask the guy who was looking for gold at the road side park in Georgetown.  Or as my brother pointed out….Audrie, he is weed eating.

Ok...so there is a story to this...As Ryan, Curt ,and I were driving one day, we saw a guy at a park who was moving a long stick with a metal piece at the end (weed eater) back and forth. I thought it looked like a metal detector and said "why is that guy looking for gold there? I doubt there is any in that freakin park!" and Curt and Ryan both laughed and Curt said ..."Audrie, he is weed eating".


The prizes...
This was one of my favorite parts of the whole thing. For my prizes, my bridesmaids had asked me what a few of my favorite things were, and that's what was given out as prizes. For example, my favorite wine, favorite lotions/body wash, favorite movie/candy. Isn't that a great idea?! I hope everyone who won enjoys them just as much as I do!

The thanks...
Lastly, and most importantly...I owe all of my day and blessings to the people who came. It wouldn't have been possible without my bridesmaids putting it on, and the people who attended. I know that sounds quite cliche, but anyone that knows me knows that was the the most touching part to me. Honest to God, I was SO surprised by the turnout and felt like the luckiest girl all day long. And as everyone was helping carry gifts to my car and putting away tables and chairs as I was hugging everyone goodbye, I thought I might cry I felt so overwhelmed. I was absolutely showered with love that day--and certainly spoiled with gifts. So thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who came...you certainly made it an experience I will never forget!


3 comments:

Andiepants said...

Congratulations sweetheart!
Looks like I missed more than I wanted to!
I am so happy your bridal shower went amazing! You have some lovely and great ladies that took care of every detail.
I definitely like the idea for the prizes to be different things that you like.
The games...well super fun as always!

What is the countdown at now? Double digits?
xoxo
Andie's Traveling Pants

Kiki said...

Congrats girl! I love bridal showers, so fun! Im glad you enjoyed yours a lot and where spoiled!

XoXo

Cayla Hess said...

How exciting!!! I'm glad you had a great time & enjoyed yourself. Enjoy every second of this time :) And we played Newlyweds too. We're still arguing over who had more right answers ;)