My sweet, sweet baby is now a 6 month old. How and when she turned 6 months, I don't know. Ryan and I have been talking all week about how surprising it is that we now have a baby who is a HALF OF A YEAR old! It just amazes me how quickly it has all flown by.
My, my..where to start...
- In the last couple weeks she has absolutely mastered rolling...like, she rolls all over the living room now! She has figured out that's how she can get from Point A to Point B and she's loving it. Today she knocked over a picture frame and messed with leaves, so I am afraid baby proofing is near.
- She also thinks she's little Miss Independent and now holds her own bottle most of the time. When she is really tired she struggles with it though, and at night time she still lets me do it, but day time it's all her! She sometimes wastes milk with messing around with it and of course that makes this mama cringe but I know it is practice for her. Her tiny bottles she even one-hands like a pro!
- She isn't able to sit up on her own quite yet, but we've been working on it and she's getting there! She can sit assisted very well and tripod every once in awhile.
- I mentioned this last month but she is definitely watching her daddy and I and mimics everything we are doing. Her latest is grabbing whatever we are drinking and pulling it up to her mouth and trying to drink from it as well.
- She isn't crawling yet..or really even close to it, but she is certainly wanting to! She will get on her belly and pull herself around by digging her fingers into the blankets, carpet, or whatever else is strong enough. She will also lay there and flop like a fish out of water with her arms and legs moving, thinking that's going to get her somewhere :)
- She is still on her "mommy only" kick but this month she has a bad case of Stranger Danger that has developed. It first happened when Tammy was holding her and went to show her off to someone working on the house...she immediately started crying the moment he LOOKED at her! As soon as I got her though, she relaxed. From then on, its been like that with almost everyone except Ryan, Bob, and Tammy really. We even go to my grandma's a couple times a week and she will lay on the floor and just flirt with Grandma the entire time, but the minute I give her to Grandma the waterworks start! And then the minute I take her back, they shut off and the smiles come back. She even started crying when Abigal picked her up and she was 2 feet from me. Ay ay ay.
- Overall, I would just sum her up this month by saying she is much more "busy". She is ALWAYS grabbing for something, trying to get somewhere, watching something intently, making noise, kicking her legs, etc. She is never just sitting still and relaxing.
Can I just start by saying...I NOW HAVE A HAPPY BABY!!!! I have said each month that things have gotten better and better and she's less fussy. Then last month I even said the fussiness was gone, but now? Now, I have a HAPPY baby! You know, those babies who smile at everyone, laugh at everything, and love life?? I have her :) I am just SO happy that that baby showed back up :) She is absolutely a joy to be around and makes me smile and laugh every single day.
I am happy to say we have improved on the sleeping! First, she has been in her crib (all night!) for 4 or 5 weeks now! She literally has not ended up in our bed at all, so now, I think I can officially say we made the transition. As for her sleeping pattern, it too has improved. We are getting about a 3-4 hour stretch out of her most nights and then from then on out its kind of unpredictable. One night last week she only woke up TWICE throughout the night so I know the little stinker has it in her. She has also turned into a full time belly sleeper. Once I lay her down, she immediately flips to her belly! Even in the night when I flip her back over, I leave the room and look at the monitor and there she is, butt in the air, laying on her belly! She's growing and changing each day and I'm sure we will get there at some point. For now, I'll take the changes we have already seen!
As for naps, they are still taking place in our bed, with me by her side. I kept telling myself I needed to change this and get her sleeping in her crib for naps and one day I decided to test the waters. We failed miserably and then once I began to think about it, I decided we're fine doing what we are doing anyway. All I would do if she laid in her crib to nap was go to my bed to nap so why not do it together? She enjoys it, I enjoy it, and we both get rest. Don't fix it if it isn't broken, right?
I don't talk about this much, mainly because everyone has their own opinions about it, but I'm rolling with it today. Originally I had only planned to breastfeed her 6 months. I wanted my body back (not in the physical, beach bod type way, but more my personal space) and didn't want to feel like a milk factory for a year or more. Well, 6 months has come and we're doing ok, so I am going to keep going! I am so dang proud of myself over this. It was h-e-double hockey sticks for the first few weeks and even afterwards, she's never been the easy to feed baby, but we've stuck it out. Anyone who has breastfed knows that it is HARD and it definitely takes dedication. Sure, Michelle Duggar can probably handle it no problem and Suzi Homemaker who doesn't leave her house probably handles it with no problem, but that's not my lifestyle and toting around a pump to every outing isn't desirable but I'm doing it. The way I look at it now, every month I keep going is just bonus at this point, we made it to our goal. And I'm pretty confident I have enough saved to get us through several weeks/a couple months even after I stop.
With that, we have now officially begun our baby food adventure. We are attempting "Baby Led Weaning" but if it doesn't go well, we will switch to homemade purees. So far she has had: sweet potatoes, avocado, banana, and oatmeal. I will keep this updated on how it is going!
This is the same as last month. She is still in 0-3 month and 3 month clothing and size 2 diapers. I still keep trying to move her into 3-6 clothes but they are just too big at this point, they look sloppy. I think in the next few weeks she will be into a majority of them though as she is soooo long! I don't know her exact numbers yet, her 6 month appointment isn't until the 24th, but I will update when I do!
jumping in her Jumperoo
rolling around the living room
the puppies (still)
chewing on anything she can get in her mouth
getting ready for bed
getting her face/hands wiped off
Each day I love this little thing more and more and each day I think "there is no way I could ever love her more than I do right now" and then I surprise myself with the amount of love I have for her the following day. She is my entire world all wrapped up into 14lbs; my heart could just explode with how full it is with her in my life. Every night as I rock her to sleep, I am fighting tears just looking down at her. I know she was meant for me, and me for her. Every single bone in my body and curve on my hip was created to make this sweet little baby.